Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Crimson Journey


Okay. I’ll admit to it… I am addicted to colour. My eye is drawn to colour the way a moth is drawn to flame. I would like to note that my pursuit of shaded saturation is not nearly as dire as aerial suttee, but it can be consuming, extremely consuming.


I’ve been on a journey lately; let’s call it a Crimson Journey. In order to open up my jewelry studio to students last year I decided I wanted to paint it red. RED - passion, power and creativity encompassed into one feverish package. Now, I’m not talking about painting a little trim work here and there. I’m describing rich, deep, true red, all over the walls. As a former Interior Designer I should have vividly recalled how many coats of paint it actually takes to achieve this level of colour. Fortunately, I didn’t.



Until it was too late.



As my paintbrushes dry and the paint rollers lean idle into the corner of the closet I’ve noticed colour is also playing an active role in my exploration of metal clay, silver clay in particular. Mix translucent red with silver and you get… Luscious. Mysterious. Opulent. Enamels and resins are finding their way into more and more of my metal clay art and opening up ideas that have taken me firmly by the wrist and are pulling me into new experiments, new successes and ideas to be perfected. So don’t be surprised if you check out my Etsy Shop or my website and see passionate hearts, freshly opened pomegranates and sea creatures that pulse with life. And when, as my current passion for red has been explored (for the time being), a new colour will catch my inner eye and I’ll be off and experimenting again. In fact, now that I think about it, I’ve always loved chartreuse...

By the way, it took ten coats of paint.


I wanted to be certain to thank MKaaes's Gems for those wonderful little carnelian cabachons pictured at the top right of my blog. Visit MKaaes's Gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment